Monday, October 1, 2012

September Challenge: The 30/100

I'm so excited about what I have achieved last month. My local BGR! group decided to come up with a 100 mile challenge for the month of September for all of the ladies interesting in doing something big for that month and I did it (115.34 miles to be exact)!  There were several ways to achieve this feat. You could either run, walk, bike, skate, etc., to reach 100 miles by September 30th. I knew that I could possibly accomplish this goal with the new half marathon training plan I was using, but it wasn't a guarantee that I would actually run the distance.

The challenge basically required that you at least have 25 miles in the bank by the end of each week. It would ensure that you reached the 100 mile mark by the end of the challenge. My current half marathon plan would have me exceeding that weekly goal if I made it through without a hitch. I did, however, have an unscheduled cutback week in which I only maxed out to about 18 miles. BUT, I had my sites on accomplishing a second goal last month that I knew I would compensate for the shortage.

I am so proud of myself for accomplishing goal #2 as well. I finally reached my first 30 mile run week! I came so close twice last month, but just could get those extra 1 or 2 miles in. I mean, I could have, but it would have not been a wise decision on my part. Adding mileage comes with some basic rules that a runner has to follow in order to prevent overuse injuries from occurring. I mean technically I could have rounded my 28 and 29 mileage weeks to 30, but it just doesn't look the same on paper. LOL!

With these two personal records (PR) behind me I can now focus on the next two challenges that await me in 31 days. I have three races coming up real soon, but the big challenge relates to the two half marathons that I am running less than two weeks apart from each other - Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon on October 21st and Rock n' Roll Savannah Half Marathon on November 3rd. This will be my first time running two large races so close together. I'm very confident in my ability to do what I've set out to achieve. I've worked so hard at strengthening my body this summer and increasing my base mileage these last couple of weeks. My desire is to become a better athlete and grow in my running ability. I know it requires that I push myself here and there If I wish to become better at what I do. And I also have my sites on getting that Half Fanatic status also. And why not? I think I deserve it :-)

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment